Professional kid wrangler

Professional kid wrangler

Sunday 5 April 2015

Homemade Play Dough using JELLO




Homemade Play Dough using JELLO



I don't know what happened to store bought Play Doh since I was a kid, but in my opinion, long gone are the days where clean up is as simple as stamping your table with a large mound of doh. As much as I want to give my kids their super fun sets featuring the latest Princess or a super cool ice cream shoppe, I find myself saying no most of the time because the clean up is just insane. What was once a beautiful ice cream sundae will suddenly burst into a million small pieces which will instantly harden on my kitchen floor. The leftovers are then smushed from brillant hues to a nasty shade of brown reminant of my early diaper days.

Luckily for my kids and myself I found a mutually beneficial solution, thanks to my many mornings spent at my local Ontario Early Years. Somehow, their play doh wasn't a huge mess dispite the many little hands giving it a workout. It also smelled amazing. My daughter's teacher, Trina, told me the secret, which is this recipe. In her version she used kool-aid instead of jello but I found jello easier to find.

1 cup white flour
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp of salt
2 tbsp of alum
2.5 tbsp of oil
1 package of Jello

pour flour and water into a saucepan and wisk until smooth. Next add the alum, salt and oil. Stir well and then add the Jello. Place the sauce pan over medium heat and stir constantly until it forms a dough and you can no longer stir. Let the dough cool. If it seems sticky you can add a little flour. I store mine in the fridge. We made strawberry (red)  and wildberry (blue) so even if the kids want to mix the dough it will still look and smell pretty!

We actually made our play dough for the Easter bunny to hide so we put tiny balls into bags and then into eggs (so it didn't dry out overnight). The kids loved this project!


How we took Easter down a notch

No comments:

Post a Comment